CEREC same-day dental crowns in Santa Rosa, CA
Dental crowns have been used for decades in dentistry to restore the function, health, and strength of teeth that have been damaged or injured. Historically, the placement of a dental crown was a two-visit process that occurred over the course of multiple weeks and required the placement of a temporary crown that you had to “baby.” Fortunately, with modern CEREC technology, Dr. Reza Saeidi can place Santa Rosa, CA area patients’ crowns in just one visit.
Why a crown may be recommended
Dental crowns are incredibly common, with millions of Americans getting them placed each year. Crowns are such a common dental treatment because they are highly versatile and an effective way of preserving your natural tooth. Dr. Saeidi may recommend a dental crown in the following circumstances:
- A tooth has become weakened due to decay
- The tooth has cracked or fractured
- Wear and tear have changed the shape and structure of the tooth
- The tooth has a large filling and needs more support
- To anchor a dental bridge that is replacing missing teeth
- To seal off and protect a tooth after a root canal
- For cosmetic purposes, such as covering a permanently discolored or misshapen tooth
- To place over a dental implant
How CEREC crowns work
With CEREC technology, which stands for “Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics,” Dr. Saeidi first takes digital impressions of your mouth to take precise images that are more accurate than traditional physical impressions made from putty. Then, the computerized scans are sent to the CEREC milling machine, where it mills your customized crown from a durable block of ceramic for a perfect fit and optimal function. The whole process takes about one and a half to two hours, but you are free to relax and read a book or catch up on email for the 30 to 45 minutes that it takes to mill the crown. You can even watch as your crown is made!
Benefits of CEREC crowns
With a CEREC dental crown, you save time driving between appointments and avoid the frustration of dealing with a temporary crown—all without sacrificing quality and durability. CEREC crowns:
- Don’t require conventional dental molds that can be uncomfortable, taste bad, or trigger a gag reflex
- Fit better than traditional crowns due to precise digital imaging and milling
- Often require less refitting than traditional crowns because of their precise fit
- Can last just as long as conventional crowns if you take good care of your teeth, which includes brushing after every meal, flossing twice per day, and visiting the dentist for regular cleanings and check-ups
- Are simply more convenient, saving you the time and hassle of multiple appointments in your busy schedule
CEREC crowns can be used instead of conventional crowns in nearly all cases; in fact, many dentists have all but eliminated the use of other types of crowns. However, if you clench and grind your teeth (bruxism), a crown made from alloy may be recommended instead since it can withstand the excess forces from bruxism.